Selected Faculty Publications and Awards
- Alsup, J. (2006). Teacher Identity Discourses: Negotiating Personal and Professional Spaces. Mahwah, NJ:National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE)/Lawrence Erlbaum Associates (LEA) Presses.
Alsup, J. and Bush, J. (2003) But Will it Work with Real Students? Scenarios for Teaching Secondary English Language Arts, Urbana, IL: National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) Press.
Bianchini, J.A.; Akerson, V.L.; Calabrese Barton, A.; Lee, O.; Rodriguez, A.J. (Eds.) (2012). Moving the Equity Agenda Forward. Equity Research, Practice, and Policy in Science Education Series: Cultural Studies of Science Education, Vol. 5 (New York, NY: Springer).
- Burdick, J., Sandlin, J. A., & O’Malley, M. P. (Eds.). (2014). Problematizing public pedagogy. New York: Routledge.
- Cennamo, K., Ross, J., Ertmer, P., (2013). Technology Integration for Meaningful Classroom Use: A Standards-based Approach. California: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.
- Dolby, N. (2012). Rethinking Multicultural Education for the Next Generation: The New Empathy and Social Justice. New York: Routledge.
- Lysaker, J.T. (Ed.) (2013). Teacher inquiry in literacy workshops. Urbana, IL: National Council of Teachers of English.
- Miller, s.j., Burns, L.D., & Johnson, T.S. (Eds.) (2013). Generation bullied 2.0: Prevention and intervention strategies for our most vulnerable students. New York: Peter Lang.
- Phillion, J., Hue, M. T., & Wang, Y. (Eds.) (2011). Minority students in East Asia: Government policies, school practices and teacher responses. New York: Routledge
- Weis, L. & Dolby, N. (Eds.)(2012). Social Class and Education: Global Perspectives. New York: Routledge.
Bryan, L. (2012). Research on science teacher beliefs. In B. Fraser, K. Tobin, & C. McRobbie (Eds.), International handbook of science education (2nd Ed.)(pp. 477-498). Dordrecht: Springer.
Fichett, P. G., and VanFossen, P. J. (2013). Survey on the status of social studies (S4): An instrumentation description. In Passe, J. and Fitchett, P. G. (Eds.) The status of social studies: Views from the field. Charlotte, NC: Information Age.
- Gilligan, J. & Miller, s.j. (2013). The distressing realities about queer-related (LGBTQGV) bullying. In, Miller, s.j., Burns, L.D., & Johnson, T.S. (Eds.) Generation bullied 2.0: Prevention and intervention strategies for our most vulnerable students. New York: Peter Lang.
- Lysaker, J. T. (2012). Do curriculum and instruction in schools need to be more or less programmatic? In A. J. Eakle (Vol. Ed.), Curriculum and instruction (Chap. 1) (Vol. 2, Debating Issues in American Education Series; C. J. Russo & A. G. Osborne Jr., Series Eds.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Mammes, I., Schaper, N., & Strobel, J. (2012). Professionalism and the role of teacher beliefs in technology teaching in German primary schools – An area of conflict. In J. König (Ed.) Teachers' Pedagogical Beliefs: Definition and Operationalisation - Connections to Knowledge and Performance - Development and Change. Münster: Waxmann Verlag.
- Parker, L.C. & Krockover, G.H. (2013). Science education for diversity and informal learning. In N. Mansour and R. Wegerif, (Eds.) Science Education for Diversity: Theory and Practice. New York: Springer.
- Rapoport, A. (2013). Role and place of academic standards in social studies teacher education. In A. Ioffe (Ed.), Problems of Education Quality Improvement: Experience and Innovations (pp. 71-85). Kazan (Russia): Center of Education Quality.
- Rapoport, A. (2012). “I saw it with my own eyes”: Knowledge-constructing processes in the course of international exchanges of educators. In R. Helfenbein & T. Mason (Eds.), Ethics and international curriculum work: The challenges of culture and context (pp. 185-204). Information Age Publishing.
- Thiemann, G., O’Brien, J., VanFossen, P. J. and Berson, M. (2013). Characteristics of high-frequency technology users. In Passe, J. and Fitchett, P. G. (Eds.) The status of social studies: Views from the field. Charlotte, NC: Information Age
- Bofferding, L., Kemmerle, M., Murata, A. (2012). Making 10 my way. Teaching Children Mathematics, 19(3), 164-173.
- Breiner, J., Harkness, M., Johnson, C.C., & Koehler, C. (2012). What Is STEM? A Discussion about Conceptions of STEM in Education and Partnerships, School Science and Mathematics, 112(1), 3-11.
- Bryan, L., Sederberg, D., Daly, S., Sears, D., & Giordano, N. (2012). Facilitating teachers’ development of nanoscience content knowledge. Nanotechnology Reviews, 1, 85-95.
- Burdick, J., & Sandlin, J. A. (2013). Learning, becoming, and the unknowable: Conceptualizations, mechanisms, and process in public pedagogy literature. Curriculum Inquiry, 43(1), 142-177.
- Johnson, C.C. (2013). Educational turbulence: The influence of macro and micro policy on school reform, Journal of Science Teacher Education, 24(4), 693-715.
- Johnson, C.C. & Saylor, L. (2013). Bring Your Own Laptop (BYOL): The journey of a large middle school into the 21st century. Journal for Computing Teachers, 9(1) 1-7.
- Johnson, C.C. (2013). Becoming relevant: Developing culturally relevant pedagogy in middle school science. Middle Ground, 16(3), 24-25.
- Johnson, C.C. (2012). Implementation of STEM education policy: Challenges, progress, and lessons learned. School Science and Mathematics, 112(1), 45-55.
- Johnson, C.C., Kahle, J.B. & Zhang, D. (2012). Effective science instruction: Impact on high stakes assessment performance, Research in Middle Level Education, 35(9), 1-14.
- Lysaker, J. & Thompson, B. (2013). Teacher Research as a practical tool for learning to teach. Language Arts, 90 (3).
- Magana, A.J., Brophy, S.P., & Bryan, L.A. (2012). An Integrated Knowledge Framework to Characterize and Scaffold Size and Scale Cognition (FS2C), International Journal of Science Education, DOI:10.1080/09500693.2012.715316 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09500693.2012.715316).
- Milner, A., Sondergeld, T., Demir, K., Czerniak, C.M., & Johnson, C.C. (2012). Elementary Teachers’ Beliefs about Teaching Science and Classroom Practice: An Examination of Pre/Post NCLB Testing in Science. Journal of Science Teacher Education, 23 111-132.
- Obenchain, K. M. & Pennington, J. L. (2012). We elect a president: Using literature to teach decision-making skills. Social Studies & the Young Learner, 25(1), 17-21.
- Rapoport, A. (2013). Global citizenship themes in the social studies classroom: Teaching devices and teachers’ attitudes. The Educational Forum, 77(4), 407-420.
- Richardson, J. C., Fox, W. S., Lehman, J. D. (2012). Successful videoconferencing scenarios for teacher education programs. TechTrends 56(5), 17-24.
- Rodriguez, A. (2013). "Interpreting Research on Parent Involvement and Connecting it to the Science Classroom" Theory into Practice. Online at: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/07351690.2013.743775.
- Roychoudhury, A. (2012). Connecting science to everyday experiences in preschool settings. Cultural Studies in Science Education. 10.1007/s11422-012-9446-7.
- Roychoudhury, A. & Rice, D. (2012). Preservice Secondary Science Teachers’ Teaching and Reflections During a Teacher Education Program. International Journal of Science Education, first published April 23, 2012 as DOI:10.1080/09500693.2012.678907.
- Schaffer, S.P., Chen, X., Zhu, X., & Oakes, W. (2012). Self-efficacy for Cross-Disciplinary Learning in Project-based Teams. Journal of Engineering Education, January 2012, Vol. 101, No. 1, pp. 82–94.
- Schaffer, S.P., & Kim, H. (2012). Responsive Evaluation as a Guide to Design and Implementation: Case Study of an E-Health Learning System. Performance Improvement Quarterly, 25, 2, pp. 9-25.
- Schwartz, R. M., Schmitt, M. C., & Lose, M. K. (2012). Effects of teacher-student ratio in response to intervention approaches. The Elementary School Journal, 112, 547-567.
- Seung, E., Bryan, L., & Haugan, M. (2012). Examining physics graduate teaching assistants' pedagogical content knowledge for teaching a new physics curriculum. Journal of Science Teacher Education, 23, 451-480.
- Purzer, S., Duncan-Wiles, D. & Strobel, J. (2013). Teaching About Engineering Optimization and Trade-offs to Fourth and Fifth Graders. (Special Issue on Engineering and Science). Science and Children, 50, 5, 34-39.
- Watson, W.R., Watson, S.L., & Reigeluth, C.M. (2012). A systemic integration of technology for new paradigm education. Educational Technology, 52(5), 25-29.
- Watson, W. R., Watson, S. L., & Reigeluth, C. M. (2013). Education 3.0: breaking the mold with technology. Interactive Learning Environments, 1-12. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10494820.2013.764322.
- Watson, W. R., & Watson, S. L. (2013). Exploding the ivory tower: Systemic change for higher education. TechTrends, 57(5), 42-46.
- Carla Johnson, Implications of Research for Educational Practice Award, Association for Science Teacher Education, to be presented January 2014
- Laura Bofferding, National Academy of Education/Spencer Postdoctoral Fellow.
- Lynn Bryan, Outstanding Science Teacher Educator of the Year (Award I-Level 2, greater than 10 years of career service), Association for Science Teacher Education.
- Luciana de Oliveira, Faculty Engagement Scholar Award, Purdue University.
- David Eichinger, Outstanding Faculty Teaching Award, Department of Curriculum and Instruction.
- Peg Ertmer, Fulbright Senior Specialist (2008-2013).
- Carla Johnson, Outstanding Science Teacher Educator of the Year Award, Association for Science Teacher Education.
- Lynn Bryan, Science Teacher Educator of the Year, Association for Science Teacher Education (ASTE).
- Lynn Bryan, President, National Association for Research in Science Teaching (NARST).
- Luciana de Oliveira, AERA Bilingual Education Research-SIG: Early Career Award, AERA.
- Nadine Dolby, Community Spirit Award, for volunteer work at Almost Home Humane Society in Lafayette.
- Peg Ertmer, Scholarly Advancement of the Field of Educational Technology, Teacher Education Division of AECT.
- Carla Johnson, Excellence in Integrating Science and Mathematics Award, School Science and Mathematics Association.
- Mary Nakhleh, Achievement in Research for the Teaching and Learning of Chemistry, American Chemical.
- Melanie Shoffner, Kenneth T. Kofmehl Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Award, Purdue. University.
- Rachael Kenney, Outstanding Contributions to Undergraduate Teaching by an Assistant Professor, College of Science.
- Lynn Bryan, College of Education Outstanding Faculty Scholarship Award.
- Brenda Capobianco, University Faculty Scholar.
- Luciana de Oliveira, Outstanding Latino Faculty, Purdue University Latino Faculty and Staff Association (LaFaSA).
- Levon Esters, Teacher Fellow of the North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture (NACTA).
- Wanda Fox, Career and Technical Educator of the Year, Indiana Association for Career and Technical Education.
- Christian Knoeller, 2011 Gwendolyn Brooks Poetry Prize from the Society for the Study of Midwestern Literature (SSML).
- Christian Knoeller, elected President of SSML.
- Jerry Krockover, Indiana Governor's Distinguished Service Medal.
- Anatoli Rapoport, Discovery Award, Department of Curriculum and Instruction.
- Melanie Shofner, Outstanding Faculty Teaching Award, Department of Curriculum and Instruction .
- John Staver, Outstanding Service Award, College of Education.