Science Education and Chemistry
Department of Curriculum and Instruction and Department of Chemistry
Constructivist epistemology and its implications for improving science teaching and learning. The interface between science and religion within a constructivist perspective, with a focus on the nature of each discipline and current societal conflicts between them.
Appointments on National/International Organizations
American Educational Research Association
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
|Ed.D.||Indiana University, 1978, Science Education|
|M.S.||Purdue University, 1973, Chemistry|
|B.S.||Indiana University, 1968, Education|
- Boone, W.J., Staver, J.R., & Yale, M.S. (2014). Rasch analysis in the human sciences. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Springer.
- Staver, J.R. (2013). Thoughts about certainty, truth as correspondence, and the complexity of the relationship between science and religion. Cultural Studies of Science Education, 8(2), 399-401. doi: 10-1007/s11422-013-9492-9.
- Boone, W.J., Staver, J.R., & Yale, M.S. (2013). Theory of self-directed learning-oriented assessment: A non-technical introduction to the theoretical foundations and methodologies of cognitive diagnostic assessment. In M. Mo Ching Mok (Ed.), Self-directed Learning Oriented Assessments in the Asia-Pacific (Education in the Asia-Pacific Region: Issues, Concerns and Prospects 18). pp. 105- 121. doi: 10.1007/978-94-007-4507-0_6. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Springer.
- Boone, W.J., Townsend, J.S., & Staver, J.R. (2011). Using Rasch theory to guide the practice of survey development and survey data analysis in science education and to inform science reform efforts: An exemplar utilizing STEBI self-efficacy data. Science Education, 95(2), 258-280.
- Winslow, M., Staver, J.R., & Scharmann, L. (2011). Evolution and personal religious belief: Christian university biology-related majors' search for reconciliation. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 48(9), 1026-1049.
- Staver, J. R. (2010). Skepticism, truth as coherence, and constructivist epistemology: Grounds for resolving the discord between science and religion? Cultural Studies in Science Education, 5(1), 19-39.
- Staver, J. R. (2008). Teaching science. Brussels, Belgium: International Academy of Science.
- Simmons, P., Brunkhorst, H., Lunetta, V., Penick, J., Peterson, J., Pietrucha, B., & Staver, J.R. (2005). Developing a research agenda in science education. Journal of Science Education and Technology, 14(2), 239-252.
- Kelly, M. P. & Staver, J. R. (2005). A case study of one school system's adoption and implementation of an elementary science program. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 42(1), 25-52.
- Staver, J.R. (2003). Evolution and intelligent design: Understanding the issues and dealing with the controversy in a standards-based manner. The Science Teacher. 70(8), 32-35.
- Wang, J. & Staver, J.R. (2001). Examining relationships between factors of science education and student career aspirations. Journal of Educational Research, 94(5), 312-319.
- Staver, J. R. (1998). Constructivism: Sound theory for explicating the practice of science and science teaching. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 35(5), p 501-520.
- Staver, J.R. & Lumpe, A.T. (1995). Two investigations of students' understanding of the mole concept and its use in problem solving. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 32 (2), 177-193.
- Staver, J.R. & Jacks, T. (1988). The influence of cognitive reasoning level, cognitive restructuring ability, disembedding ability, working memory capacity, and prior knowledge on students performance on balancing equations by inspection. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 25(9), 763-775.
- Greenbowe, T., Herron, J.D., Lucas, C., Nurrenbern, S., Staver, J.R., & Ward, C.R. (alphabetical order) (1981). Teaching preadolescents to act as scientists: Replication and extension of an earlier study. Journal of Educational Psychology, 73(5), 705-711.
- Staver, J.R. & Gabel, D.L. (1979). The development and construct validation of a group-administered test of formal thought. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 16(6), 535-544
|2006-Present||Professor of Education (Science) and Chemistry, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN (tenured)|
|2006-2012||Co-director, Center for Resesarch and Engagement in Science and Mathematics Education (CRESME)|
|2006-2007||Interim Director, Indiana Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics Resource Network (I-STEM), Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN|
|1991-1996||Executive Secretary, National Association for Research in Science Teaching (NARST), Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS|
|1988-2006||Director, Center for Science Education, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS|
|1988-2006||Professor of Education (Science), Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS (tenured)|
|1986-1988||Associate Professor of Education and Natural Sciences, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL (tenured)|
|1981-1986||Assistant Professor of Education and Natural Sciences, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL|
|1978-1981||Assistant Professor of Science Education, DePaul University, Chicago, IL|
|1978-1980||Program Director, Elementary Education, DePaul University, Chicago, IL|
|1977-1978||Research Associate, Science Education, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN|
|1975-1977||Associate Instructor, Science Education, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN|
|1969-1975||Science Teacher, MSD of Washington Township, North Central High School, Indianapolis, IN|
|1968-1969||Science Teacher, Indianapolis Public Schools, Arlington High School, Indianapolis, IN|
|EDCI 36500||Teaching Science in Elementary School|