Department of Curriculum & Instruction
Regenstrief Center for Healthcare Engineering
Co-Director, Health Informatics and Learning Technologies Group
Professor Schaffer's primary interest is learning and performance in the workplace and other informal settings, including virtual and public settings. He is particularly interested how technology tools support building knowledge through individual and team problem solving and collaboration. Specific research projects focus on online support for chronic care patients, adoption and diffusion of hospital best practices, and assessment of cross-disciplinary team learning.
Appointments on National/International Organizations
- Executive Board Member
Association for Educational Communications and Technology
|Ph.D.||Florida State University, Educational Psychology and Learning Systems|
|M.S.||Florida State University, Instructional Systems|
|M.S.||Southern Illinois University, Clinical Psychology|
|B.S.||Southern Illinois University, Psychology/English|
- Schaffer, S.P. (2009, in-press). Team learning and performance. In Ryan Watkins and Doug Leigh, ed. Handbook for the Selection and Implementation of Human Performance Interventions. San Francisco: Wiley.
- Schaffer, S.P. (2009). Evaluation of knowledge development in a healthcare setting. Second International ICST Conference on Electronic Healthcare for the 21st Century. Istanbul, Turkey.
- Kim, H., Schaffer, S.P., & Reyes, L. (2009). Learning design strategies for building an online patient self-care system. Journal of Interactive Instruction Development, 21(1), 31-36.
- Schaffer, S.P., Lei, K., & Reyes, L. (2008). A framework for cross-disciplinary team learning and performance. Performance Improvement Quarterly. 21,(3), 7-21.
- Lei, K., & Schaffer, S.P. (2008, March). Cross-disciplinary team learning: Model and scale development. 2008 Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association (AERA), New York, NY, USA.
- Schaffer, S.P., & Douglas, I. (2007). Integrating knowledge, performance, and learning systems. In Murray Jennex, ed. Knowledge Management: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools and Applications (pp.xxx-xxx). Hershey: Information Science Reference.
- Schaffer, S.P., & Price, M.L. (2005). Interactive Convergence: Critical Issues in Multimedia. London Inter-disciplinary Press. Available Website: http://www.inter-disciplinary.net/publishing/id-press/ebooks/interactive-convergence-critical-issues-in-multimedia/. The eBook is Volume 10 of the Critical issues series "Cybercultures".
- Schaffer, S.P. & Richardson, J. (2004). Supporting technology integration within a teacher education system. Journal of Educational Computing Research, 31(4), 421-433.
- Schaffer, S.P. & Douglas, I. (2004) Integrating knowledge, learning and performance objects. Quarterly Review of Distance Education, 5(1).
|2008-present||Associate Professor, Educational Technology, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN
Co-Director, Health Informatics and Learning Technologies Group, Regenstrief Center for Healthcare Engineering, Purdue University
|2002-2007||Assistant Professor of Educational Technology, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN|
|1999-2002||Project Director, Knowledge Communities Research Group, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL|
|1989-1998||Coordinator-Manager, Assessment Services, Center for Business, Industry & Labor, St. Louis, Community College, St. Louis, MO|
|EDCI 664||Advanced Computer Courseware Design|
|EDCI 591D||Assessment & Evaluation|
|EDCI 591C||Project Management|
|EDCI 591B||Human Performance Technology|
|EDCI 572||Learning Systems Design|
|EDCI 561||Introduction to E-Learning|
|EDCI 513||Foundations of Educational Technology|