Department of Curriculum and Instruction
Department of Physics and Astronomy (Courtesy)
Research interest: Dr. Roychoudhury has conducted research on teaching and learning of physics and physical science at school and college levels. Teacher professional development and gender and equity issues in the context of science teaching and learning at all levels of schooling are other areas of research of Dr. Roychoudhury.
Current research project: A multi-year project (2008 onwards) is exploring middle school student understanding of physics and climate science concepts and their connections with regard to global warming and climate change issues. This project is funded by the National Science Foundation and involves schools in Lafayette and nearby rural counties. Teachers are engaged in trying out and modifying curricular materials developed by project researchers during summer and academic year sessions. Student conceptual understanding and motivation about learning science are being explored via written diagnostic tool, interviews, videotapes of classroom instruction, and other artifacts.
Appointments on National/International Organizations
- Fellow of the American Association of Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Editorial Review Board
Journal of Elementary Science Education
- Chair of the Early Career Research Award Committee
National Association of Research in Science Teaching
- Associate Editor
Journal of Science Teacher Education
- Review Board
|Ph.D.||Curriculum and Instruction, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN|
|M. Ed.||Secondary Education, Miami University, Oxford, OH|
|B. Ed.||Education, Calcutta University, Calcutta, India|
|B. Sc||Physics (major), Chemistry and Mathematics (minor), Calcutta University, Calcutta, India|
- Roychoudhury, A., & Rice D. (2013). Preservice secondary science teachers’ teaching and reflections during a teacher education program. International Journal of Science Education, 35(13), 2198-2225.
- Roychoudhury, A. (2012). Connecting science to everyday experiences in preschool settings. Cultural Studies of Science Education. Advance online publication. doi:10.1007/s11422‑012‑9446‑7.
- Shepardson, D. P., Niyogi, D., Roychoudhury, A., & Hirsch, A. (2012). Conceptualizing climate change in the context of a climate system: Implications for climate and environmental education. Environmental Education Research, 18(3), 323‑352. 21.
- Roychoudhury, A., & Rice, D. (2010). Discourse of making sense of data: Implications for elementary teachers’ science education. Journal of Science Teacher Education, 21(2), 181‑203.
- Acar, O., Turkmen, L., & Roychoudhury, A. (2010). Student difficulties in socio‑scientific argumentation and decision making research findings: Crossing the borders of two research lines. International Journal of Science Education, 32(9), 1191‑1206.
- Roychoudhury, A. (2007). Elementary students’ reasoning: Crests and troughs of learning. Journal of Elementary Science Education, 19(2), 25‑44.
|2007-Present||Associate Professor, Curriculum and Instruction, Purdue University|
|2001-2007||Associate Professor, School of Teaching and Learning, Ohio State University|
|1996-2000||Associate Professor, Teacher Education Department, Miami University|
|1997-1999||Faculty Associate, Center for Human Development, Learning, and Teaching, Educational Psychology Department, Miami University|
|1990-1995||Assistant Professor, Teacher Education Deppatment, Miami University|
|1986-1990||Associate Instructor, Science Education, Indiana University|
|1984-1985||Teaching Assistant, Physics, Miami University|
|EDCI 365||Science in Elementary Schools (Coordinator)|