Department of Curriculum & Instruction
Department of Mathematics
(a) Writing and reflection in the learning of mathematics (b) The academic language of mathematics (c) Students' and teachers' anticipatory and reflective practices in learning and teaching mathematics.
- National Council for Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- ndiana Council for Teachers of Mathematics (ICTM)
- North American Chapter of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education (PME-NA)
- Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators (AMTE)
- Hoosier Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators (HAMTE, Treasurer)
- Research in Undergraduate Mathematics Education (RUME)
- Nancy G. Pollack Thesis and Dissertation Award, College of Education, North Carolina State University, 2009.
- Discovery Learning Research Center (DLRC) 2010 Faculty Research Fellowship. Purdue University, 2010-2011.
- Service, Teaching, and Research, (STaR) for Early Career Mathematics Educators Fellowship. National Science Foundation. 2010-2011.
- Teaching Award: Outstanding Contributions to Undergraduate Teaching by an Assistant Professor, College of Science, Purdue University, 2012.
- Spira Teaching Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, Department of Mathematics, Purdue University, 2015.
- Teaching Academy Fellow, Purdue University, 2016
|Ph.D.||Mathematics Education, North Carolina State University, 2008|
|M.S.||Applied Mathematics, University of Dayton, 2000|
|B.S.||Mathematics, University of Dayton, 1999
Minor in English
- Kenney, R.H. & de Oliveira, L. (2015). A framework for connecting natural language and symbol sense in mathematical word problems for English language learners. Teaching for Excellence and Equity in Mathematics, 6(1), 7-16.
- Kenney, R.H. (2015). Investigating a link between pre-calculus students’ uses of graphing calculators and their understanding of mathematical symbols. International Journal for Technology in Mathematics Education, 21(4), 157-166.
- Kim, S.H., Phang, D., An, T., Yi, J.S., Kenney, R.H., & Uhan, N. (2014). The role of visualization in breaking cognitive lock-up of mental models: Investigation through student-professor problems. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 72(1), 12-22.
- Kenney, R.H., Shoffner, M., Norris, D. (2013) Reflecting to learn mathematics: Supporting preservice teachers’ pedagogical content knowledge with reflection on writing prompts in mathematics education. Reflective Practice, 14(6), 787-800.
- Kenney, R.H., Shoffner, M., Norris, D. (2013). Reflecting on Mathematics Teaching and Learning through Writing: An Examination of Preservice Teachers’ Perspectives. The Teacher Educator, 49 (1), 28-43.
- Kenney, R.H., & Kastberg, S. (2013). Links in learning logarithms. The Australian Senior Mathematics Journal, 27(1), 12-20.
- McCulloch, A.W., Kenney, R.H., & Keene, K.A. (2013). What to trust: Reconciling mathematical work done by hand with conflicting graphing calculator solutions. School Science and Mathematics, 113(4), 201-210
|2014-present||Associate Professor of Mathematics Education, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN|
|2008-2014||Assistant Professor of Mathematics Education, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN|
|2004-2008||Research Assistant, Project Bright IDEA II, Department of Public Instruction, Raleigh, NC|
|2000-2008||Instructor of Mathematics, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC|
Teaching Internship, Carroll High School, Dayton, OH
|MA 10800||Mathematics as a Profession and a Discipline|
|MA 48400||Seminar on Teaching College Algebra and Trigonometry|
|MA 30100||Introduction to Proof and Real Analysis|
|EDCI 42500||Teaching of Mathematics in Secondary Schools|
|EDCI 42600||Teaching of Mathematics and Middle and Junior High|
|EDCI 54800||Assessment in Mathematics Education|
|EDCI 53300||Teaching and Learning Number and Operation|
|EDCI 62000||Developing as a Mathematics Education Researcher|