Department of Curriculum and Instruction
Research interests include professional preparation and development of both elementary and secondary teachers; collaborative problem solving and its role in the teaching and learning of science; and the nature of science education and its importance for both teachers and students.
Appointments on National/International Organizations
- Associate Editor
Journal of Science Teacher Education
|Ph.D.||Michigan State University, 1992, Science Education|
|M.A.||Michigan State University, 1987, Curriculum & Instruction|
|B.A.||Colgate University, 1978, Biology|
- Lee, O., Eichinger, D.C., Anderson, C.W., Berkheimer, G.D., & Blakeslee, T.D. (1993). Changing middle school students' conceptions of matter and molecules. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 30(3), 249-270.
- Eichinger, D.C., Abell, S.K., & Dagher, Z.R. (1997). Developing a graduate level science education course on the nature of science. Science & Education, 6(4).
- Abell, S.K. & Eichinger, D.C. (1998). Examining the epistemological and ontological underpinnings in science education: An introduction. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 35(2), 107-109.
- Eichinger, D.C. & Krockover, G.H. (1998). Developing a faculty portfolio: Tips and suggestions for science educators. Journal of College Science Teaching, 27(6), 411-415.
- Volkmann, M.J. & Eichinger, D.C. (1999). Habits of mind: Integrating the social and personal characteristics of doing science into the science classroom. School Science and Mathematics, 99(3), 141-147.
- Eichinger, D.C., Nakhleh, M.B., & Auberry, D.L. (2000). Evaluating computer lab modules for large biology courses. Journal of Computers in Mathematics and Science Teaching, 19(3), 253-275.
- Krockover, G.H., Adams, P.E., Eichinger, D.C., Nakhleh, M.B., & Shepardson, D.P. (2001). Action-based research teams: Collaborating to improve science instruction. The Journal of College Science Teaching, 30(5), 313-317.
- Witham, S.A., Krockover, G.H., Compton, S.J., Cross, V.D., Eichinger, D.C., Robinson, J.P. (2001). CD-ROMs in the classroom. The Science Teacher, 68(8), 72-74.
- Ashburn, S.J., Eichinger, D.C., Witham, S., Cross, V.D., Krockover, G.H., Pae, T., Islam, S., & Robinson, J.P. (2002). The BioScope Initiative: Integrating technology into the biology classroom. The American Biology Teacher, 64(7), 503-510.
- Krockover, G.H., Shepardson, D.P., Adams, P.E., Eichinger, D.C., & Nakhleh, M.B. (2002). Reforming and assessing undergraduate science instruction using collaborative action-based research teams. Journal of School Science and Mathematics, 102(6), 266-284.
- Carleton, L. E., Krockover, G. H., Lasher-Trapp, S., & Eichinger, D. (2008). Ideas about the nature of science held by undergraduate atmospheric science students. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 89(11), 1681-1688.
|1997-present||Associate Professor of Biology Education, Purdue University|
|1992-1997||Assistant Professor of Biology Education, Purdue University|
|1991-1992||Instructor of Biology Education, Purdue University|
|1985-1991||Graduate Research & Teaching Assistant, Michigan State University|
|1982-1984||Assistant Director, Peace Corps Training Center, Zaire, Africa|
|1980-1982||Regional Volunteer Representative, Peace Corps, Zaire, Africa|
|1978-1980||High School Biology & Chemistry Teacher, Grades 9-12, Peace Corps, Zaire, Africa|
|EDCI 42100||The Teaching of Biology in Secondary Schools|
|EDCI 49800V||Supervision of Student Teaching - Biology|
|EDCI 51800||The Nature of Science in Science Teaching|
|EDCI 62200||Seminar in Science Education|
|BIOL 20500||Biology for Elementary School Teachers|
|BIOL 20600||Biology for Elementary School Teachers|